What to do with a Flooded Basement that has Mold
Updated: Feb 22, 2019
In Albany, NY, we enjoy are fortunate enough to experience the changes of the seasons. As the winter starts to come to an end, the spring temperatures begin to melt the snow. Then of course, the spring rain showers arrive, followed by those summer thunderstorms and anything else that could cause your basement to flood. Basements and any other low-lying areas are susceptible to flooding, so if you encounter the issue, it needs to be handled immediately.
What Causes Mold to Grow?
A flooded basement is not fun at all and typically requires pumping and proper clean up. Because a basement is underground, it already attracts moisture and if you are dealing with dampness of any kind in your basement, it can create the perfect ecosystem for mold.
Mold actually requires a miniscule amount of humidity or wetness on a surface to spark its growth. Yet, once it begins, it spreads rapidly. If you detect moisture in your basement due to the after effects of a flood, extremely high humidity, or water seepage because of small cracks or leaks in the floor or walls, take the necessary measures to dry it out and make necessary repairs.
Mold Causes Allergic Reactions
There are a dozen types of mold that are common to homes and not all of them are equal. Some molds can be extremely toxic causing major health risks, while others cause allergic reactions. Bottom line, there are absolutely no benefits of mold, so do whatever is necessary for the removal of it.
More than ten percent of the world’s population experiences allergic reactions to mold. It poses more dangers to individuals who have weakened immune systems including the elderly, young children, or people suffering from chronic disease. Symptoms caused by mold include irritated throat, eyes and lungs, skin abrasions, and heart issues.
Mold isn’t always noticeable, as it could be lurking in the walls and foundation of your home. Mold spores easily become airborne and make their way through crevices, baseboards, and ventilation systems. Even if you’ve never experienced a flood in your home, if you detect musty odors or notice damp spots on your basement floor or walls, have it checked out by a professional.
Let the Pros Handle It
Due to the fact that there are various types of mold, it is difficult to identify and know the potential dangers, unless you are professionally trained in mold assessment. Don’t fool yourself into thinking it will be a great do it yourself project and save a few bucks. The repercussions of failing to completely removed mold from your home could put your family at risk, effect the structural integrity of your home, and result in costing you much more in the long run. Have peace of mind in knowing the air you breathe in your home is safe.
Contact us to schedule an appointment!