Updated: Feb 22, 2019
Public awareness of mold and its dangers has become more prominent in recent years. But, surprisingly many are still oblivious to the potential harm it can cause.
Yes, mold is natural and true it is beneficial in the outdoor environment where it works to decompose dead plants. However, when it is present indoors, it can wreak havoc. Because mold is naturally occurring and practically everywhere, there’s no way for a home to be mold free. However, the smallest amounts of mold can cause health problems.
For the most part, individuals who usually encounter problems from mold are infants and elderly people. This is because their immune systems are not as strong as those of health people. It can also increase allergic reactions for people prone to allergies.
Mold spores float in the air we breathe and if mold is growing, then naturally there are more spores in the air too.
Where the Mold is
It is common for people to think of checking their bathtub, shower curtain, under the sink, or basement when checking their homes for mold. But those are not the only places. Mold grows extremely easy and can be on the roof, in the attic, behind the drywall, or in the foundation of your home.
You can even bring mold into your home at Christmas! That’s right, a live Christmas tree can easily be a home to mold. One study found that live Christmas trees significantly reduced the air quality of homes; by six times in fact. The study also revealed that over a two week period, individuals experienced more frequent asthma attacks and allergy symptoms when a Christmas tree was in the home. This beautiful creation of nature that is meant to celebrate a wonderful time of the year can release millions of mold spores in the air of your home.
Different Types of Mold
There are many types of mold and some are more dangerous than others.
Pathogenic Molds: This type of mold can cause infections and generally affects those with compromised immune systems. The pathogenic molds can cause pneumonia-like symptoms.
Allergenic Molds: This is one of the more common types of mold and just as the name indicates, it affects people who already deal with allergies. The allergenic molds do not cause allergies or asthma but when present around people who suffer from asthma and/or allergies, the reactions worsen.
Toxigenic Molds: This is the most serious type of mold and is also referred to as black mold. The toxigenic molds release dangerous mycotoxins into the air and have been linked to cancers and immunosuppression. It can absorb into the skin when touched, inhaled from the mold spores in the air, or consumed by eating infected foods.
Mold illness vary from person to person and in relation to the type of mold exposure that occurs. Below are the common responses to people suffering from mold illness:
Unexplained joint pain, muscle cramps, and inflammation.
Tingling or feeling of numbness.
Brain fog and memory issues.
Onset of weakness or fatigue.
Sinus issues, shortness of breath, congestion, or asthma.
Difficulty with night sweats and regulating body temperature.
Vertigo or dizziness.
Eye irritation or sensitivity to the light.
Metallic taste in the mouth.
The symptoms of mold illness range from flu-like symptoms, to those commonly associated with colds, allergies, and even hormonal imbalances.
The mycotoxins can cause chronic inflammation and acute reactions within the body. Mold toxicity is real and it is dangerous.
While the basic mild occurences of surface mold can be addressed on your own, if you see mold growth or even suspect you might have mold because of a recent bout with health issues, contact your local mold assessor to have your home professionally inspected for mold. When any of these health issues are the result of mold, planning to have a professional mold remediation plan implemented will most likely be in your best interest. Call us today!